I look kinda ripped?! Enjoying my confidence today :)
Hello! I had a fantastic workout today. It was squat day, so you already know it was intense. Here’s some things that made it super fantastic:
- I backed off my warm up sets. I went from doing 5 sets warm up to 3. It made such a huge difference.
- Instead of using the same weight straight through my accessory front squats I increased in small increments. Again it made such a huge difference and it was much more effective.
- I swapped db rom deads for rear lunges. The lunges killed me but I know they’re whats best for my poor legs. Bring on dem gainz. Also I got a muscle knot in my butt when doing them hahahahhahahahaha
- Tried out some dumbbell side bends. I like them. Figured I might as well add in some ab stuff since I’m getting some definition just from my regular lifts. Why not help it out, ya know? Beach season is also coming up, which may have something to do with it…. :p
- I’m going and getting red mango for dessert. Forget squatting for peanut butter, I squat for red mango (which peanut butter is inevitably a topping on).
- I’ve been studying all day and it was such a welcome relief to cramming my mind with information.
I FEEL GREAT.
This is not only a back flexing progress photo, it’s a “gee whiz I’m the idiot who gets sunburnt in April in 60 degree weather” photo.
On the Carnegie Hall trip, I sat next to this cute boy that I’m acquaintances with on the bus ride in. I had coffee and was bouncing off the walls in super chatterbox mode, so we were having a nice flowing conversation the whole ride.
At one point when the conversation stopped, he pokes my bicep and goes “whoa! You got some muscle going on there!” To which my reaction was “you can notice?! What, that’s so great thank you so much!” We then had a conversation about lifting.
SOMEONE NOTICED MY MUSCLES YAY
I HAVE JUST LEVELED UP MY BRO STATUS
The top photo is from November 2012 post volleyball, pre starting lifting again.
The bottom photo is from today (April 2013) after 3 solid months (accounting for my brief break) of lifting! I can see definite progress!
Also, it’s wise to note that both photos were taken in the morning and I’m wearing the same pants. I tried to get the same angle and lighting as well but I got a new phone so it was hard to duplicate. Still, I hope the progress is noticeable!!!
Not bad for someone who only started lifting in December 2012….
I am literally over running my blog with selfies today.
But my pants are really cool so that’s okay.
Hollister, you’re such a tease. I grabbed these shorts because they were on sale. I thought to myself, “These look like they’ll fit right!”
Lol no. They were so tight on my thighs and the front of my waist with this big gap in the back. I’m kinda proud - I increased my ass to waist ratio enough for this to occur. And while in the past this occurrence would send me into a frenzy of self hate, I’m just sitting here like “lol my butt’s too big. On to the next pair!” It’s such a refreshing change!
The fact that I love lifting and want to pump iron even on the days I don’t do it is a testament to how happy it makes me.
Back in my cardio days, I would dread my workouts. I pretended that I didn’t, but I wasn’t very good with variety nor did I do the cardio that I truly enjoy. I loved the concept of working out and I loved how I felt afterwards - but that love was not a constant one, it was only a feeble imposter strong enough to keep me tethered to a routine by thinking that was just the way exercise is mean to be.
I’ve found something that I truly love to do. I don’t just love it cuz it’s “good for me” and “makez me toned” (being a swoletastic bro on the other hand is a different story) (also I learned the real definition of muscle tone the other day in class so I guess it actually does make me toned but totally not in the way the term is used by the media).
Okay I am just happy lifting is all. I would make this post more intricate but I’m tired.
Also expect my about me page to be revitalized sometime this week because it needs to be changed lol.
I wanted to do a quick shoulders workout after work.
Except that I worked for 5 and a half hours and I have to get up early tomorrow.
I guess I’ll combine them with squats on Sunday :’(
Any missed opportunity to be swole depresses my bromantic heart.